Originally posted Sunday, July 17, 2011
Wow, Chris and I have really been moving quickly lately. Day Fifteen we were able to finish up all the Sheathing on the sides of the house. It had gotten too late the day before to finish the last piece... to dark to see our marks as clear as we would have liked to continue. You will notice all the 2x4 lumber stretched across the top of the house, we did this because otherwise when we cover it up for the night and if it decides to rain, we don’t have a swimming pool in the middle of the house.
Once we were able to finish up the Sheathing on the outside, we moved to putting the Loft Floor in. I would measure from the bottom, give him the number, then he would measure on the top where the beams were located. Then we used a Chalk Line to mark the length of the board... I would recommend anyone who needs to cut down sheathing, to pick up a chalk line... makes things move much faster.
Day Sixteen, we weren’t able to work on the the house itself, but we did spend some time at HD getting all of our materials for the Roof. Christopher’s Dad, Steve is visiting us from Michigan for a week. He is also here to help us with our roof and work the electrical. So, it was important for Chris and I to try and get everything we needed before they came out. We ended up picking up more sheathing, 48 more 2x4 lumber, the metal roof and screws, and our skylight. The weather was a little better for us on Day Seventeen, so Chris and I put up the Tyvek vapor barrier on the outside of the house as well as frame the bathroom wall out.
Day Eighteen, we had a ton of help from Christopher’s parents. We were able to get both of the Loft window framing up as well as the Shed Dormers in place. We framed out the beams for the roof rafters and will soon be working on the shed dormer - roof rafters. The weather just could not make up it’s mind... most of the morning it was sunny with some clouds, but as soon as the sun left, the rain started to fall. We were able to get the end rafters in place, just above the loft windows before it started to rain, so we hopped onto our ladders and put the tarps over top.... We are very thankful that we decided to put the Tyvek paper up the day before... since with the roof on, the tarp no longer covers the sides of the house. The rain didn’t stop us from working... I gave out the measurement while the boys took care of the putting the beams in their place. We worked for a good 2-3 more hours before finally calling it quits for the day.